Monday, August 19, 2013

Reader question. Why is Disney so expensive?

A Facebook reader responded to my last post with the question "Why is Disney so expensive?"  So I thought about it for a while.  I thought about comparable experiences, like other theme parks and fairs (because they have rides).
    I went to the LA county fair a few years back.  I looked up current prices, and was surprised to find out that parking, on the weekend at the fair, was 15 dollars.  Its 16 at Disneyland.  When I park at the Mickey and Friends parking structure, more than likely, I have covered parking.  There are large, clean restrooms and a tram to take me to the entrance.  If memory serves, the parking lot at the fair had no tram, and there were a few porta-potties. Gross.  So, parking-wise, I don't mind paying the extra buck

At the fair, we had to pay separately for entrance fees and rides.  Some of the rides are thrilling.(Too thrilling for me!)  Some were tame kiddie rides.  None were charming nor had a story line.  The entrance fee is 12 dollars, and the Midway rides cost an average of 4 dollars each.  An unlimited-rides wristband would cost about 35 dollars.

Bathrooms were OK, but not great nor plentiful.

Food prices were comparable.  I was surprised because I thought they would be less.  They weren't.

Now when I go to Disneyland I am paying for:
Rides    (Themed, with a story)
Cleanliness ( this cannot be ignored)
Beautiful gardens.  As I grow older, I appreciate these so much more!
Entertainment
        1 Shows
        2  Characters  (this is priceless if you have little girls)
        3 Parades
        4 Pyrotechnic displays
        5 Street performers
Security
Maintenance.      Everything is painted, neat, pretty.
Themed queues to keep the little ones busy
Good-humored Cast Members. (this is usually the case)
Nice restaurants.


I don't know about you,  but I think that this is really a good deal.



No comments:

Post a Comment